I just learned it’s National Day on Writing, so writers are writing about #WhyIWrite.
1. It keeps me from masturbating constantly in an asylum somewhere. (Also, I’ve never looked into it, but the really good asylums are probably expensive.)
2. I am a filthy attention whore and every “like” is like being tenderly and lovingly fingered by Jesus.
3. I have almost no other skills.
4. You weirdos seem to enjoy it.
5. I don’t know how NOT to write.
I’m growing a little weary of people telling me it’s weird or codependent that I still talk to my ex.
It wasn’t a bad breakup. He’s been one of my best friends, my family, for 10 years. Maybe it’s not conventional, but my divorced parents are Facebook friends, so maybe we’re just not a conventional people. He will be part of my life in some capacity for the foreseeable future; the scope of that capacity is still being determined.
And hey, for a while there, if I didn’t talk to him, y’all might have been visiting me in an asylum. So can we all agree that, while it may well have been codependent, it was certainly the better option? Let’s be honest: As unhealthy breakup behavior goes, it was by far the least stupid thing I did.
Also? I paid to ask a therapist, and she said it was fine. So there.